Paul J. Dougherty, M.D. is one of the most widely respected
Refractive Surgeons Internationally
LASIK is a great option for better vision, but it’s not the only option. A good decision is an educated decision. Learn the facts about the surgeon you plan on trusting your sight with.
“WHY CHOOSE DR. PAUL DOUGHERTY”
- Dr. Dougherty graduated first in his class at the UCLA Medical School and is a Clinical Instructor of Ophthalmology at UCLA ‘s Jules Stein Eye Institute.
- Dr. Dougherty trained as a year-long fellow with Dr. Richard Lindstrom, the surgeon credited with popularizing LASIK in the United States. Most surgeons learn to perform LASIK in a weekend course.
- Dr. Dougherty was among the first surgeons in the United States to perform laser vision correction on an investigational basis before the FDA approved it in 1995. Since then, he has performed more than 23,000 laser vision procedures. In total, Dr. Dougherty has performed over 30,000 vision correction procedures including LASIK, PRK, IOL and ICL.
- In January 1997, Dr. Dougherty became one of the first ophthalmologists in the US to have LASIK performed on his own eyes. Since then, he has had perfect distance vision without glasses or contacts. Therefore, as a surgeon who experienced the LASIK procedure first-hand, Dr. Dougherty can relate to his patients’ concerns with unique insight and perspective.
- Dr. Dougherty is also an authority on cataract surgery and other non-laser surgical techniques, including the new generation of implantable contact and intraocular lenses (ICLs/IOLs).
- The journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today describes Dr. Dougherty as “One of the most prominent names in the field of cataract and refractive surgery worldwide” and he is just one of a small number of surgeons in the world to have served on the editorial board of the Journal of Refractive Surgery – the official peer-reviewed refractive surgery specialty journal published by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) & the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
- Dr. Dougherty is known as the Doctor’s Doctor in refractive and cataract surgery, having performed surgery on countless numbers of medical professionals and physicians from the US and around the world. He is often consulted and called upon to help other surgeons with their complicated cases.
- Dr. Dougherty helped develop multiple cutting-edge vision correction technologies including topo-guided LASIK, the most high fidelity treatment in the world, the Softec HD IOL, the most accurate IOL manufactured for cataract surgery, and the Raindrop near vision corneal implant to eliminate reading glasses.
- Dr. Dougherty was instrumental in the development of the Staar Visian ICL by creating the Vista Vision Procedure™ while serving as a principal investigator for the FDA study that began in 1999.
- Dougherty Laser Vision is a designated Staar Visian ICL Center of Excellence, implanting more ICLs than virtually any practice in the U.S.; the center regularly hosts the Staar Visian ICL live-surgical training course for physicians where he displays his trademark Vista Vision Procedure™.
- Dr. Dougherty maintains a staff trained to provide the highest level of care to every patient that is a guest at Dougherty Laser Vision. Dr. Dougherty states that he treats every set of eyes as if they were his own.