Vision Correction Research
Dougherty Laser Vision is a leading center for clinical vision research involving the latest innovations in vision correction surgery. Dr. Dougherty has served as a principal investigator on numerous FDA clinical trials, and surgeons from around the world have traveled to our surgery centers in Los Angeles, Camarillo and Santa Barbara to learn the latest surgical techniques, long before they became mainstream. Our focus on advanced vision research and innovation ensures that each Dougherty Laser Vision patient receives the most advanced, individualized treatment available.
Research, academic and industry outreach include:
- Editorial Boards: Dr. Dougherty is one of just 40 surgeons worldwide to serve on the editorial board of the prestigious Journal of Refractive Surgery (the official peer-reviewed refractive surgery specialty journal of the American Academy of Ophthalmology). He also serves on the editorial board of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, and on the scientific physician review staff of the Journal of Refractive Surgery, the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and the American Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Scientific Articles: Dr. Dougherty has served as the author on more than 20 scientific reports and guest editorials published in major peer-reviewed ophthalmic journals.
- Abstracts and Presentations: Dr. Dougherty has authored nearly 100 published abstracts and presentations at major scientific meetings worldwide.
- Book Chapters: Dr. Dougherty has authored or co-authored numerous chapters in scientific and medical textbooks.
- Invited Lectures: Dr. Dougherty has performed nearly 300 lectures at leading medical/ophthalmic institutions and conferences worldwide.
- Guest Faculty Member: In addition to his position on the clinical faculty of UCLA’s Jules Stein Eye Institute, Dr. Dougherty serves regularly as a guest faculty member for ophthalmic symposiums and roundtables.
- Surgical Demonstrations: Dr. Dougherty regularly conducts courses and live surgery demonstrations to introduce other refractive surgeons to the latest surgical innovations.
Dr. Dougherty has served as a principal investigator on the following ongoing clinical trials:
- Effectiveness of homeopathic eye drops in treating Dry Eye after LASIK
- Sonomed UBM Anterior Segment Ultrasound for Sizing the Visian ICL
- STAAR Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) for the Treatment of Myopia
- STAAR Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) for the Treatment of Hyperopia
- Lenstec Tetraflex Accommodating IOL for the Treatment of Cataracts and Presbyopia
- Lenstec HD Double Aspheric IOL for the Treatment of Cataracts
- NIDEK EC-5000 Excimer Laser System Using CATz (Customized Aspheric Transition Zone) Guided LASIK for the Treatment of Myopic Astigmatism with Corneal Irregularity
- Allergan Acular LS for the Prevention of CME
- Allergan Effect of Topical Acular LS on LASIK Intra and Post-Operative Pain
- Allergan Restasis in the Relief of Dry Eye
- Long-Term Outcomes of Surface Laser for Myopia and Myopic Astigmatism in Eyes with Suspicious Topographies