Is LASIK Surgery Safe? What You Need to Know About LASIK Laser Eye Surgery
You might be surprised to learn LASIK laser eye surgery has been around for more than 25 years, with over 25 million procedures performed worldwide. Here in the United States, the FDA approved LASIK in 1999. Since that time, more than 19 million procedures have been performed.
It is understandable, if you have worn glasses or contacts most of your life, that you would be considering LASIK surgery. It is also understandable that you have questions about the procedure and to find out “is LASIK surgery safe?” According to research studies and data compiled by the FDA on LASIK:
- LASIK has a 95% satisfaction rating with patients.
- Almost 100% of LASIK patients achieve 20/40 vision or better.
- In more than 90% of the procedures, patients enjoyed 20/20 vision or better.
Along with these findings, the technology used for LASIK surgery makes it one of the most successful and safest laser surgeries in the world.
Is LASIK Surgery Safe for My Eyes?
A second question you need to ask is whether LASIK surgery is safe for your eyes. There can be many defining factors used to determine if you are an ideal candidate for LASIK. The best place to find out is to schedule a free consultation with a qualified and experienced LASIK surgeon.
During your consultation, you will want to ask any questions or concerns you have about LASIK. You should feel comfortable and confident in your LASIK surgeon and the information and advice they provide.
At Dougherty Laser Vision, we have a comprehensive consultation to determine whether someone is a candidate for LASIK. Even once we determine someone is a candidate, we still do another two hours of testing pre-op to verify they are truly a good fit for this eye surgery.
At the end of the consultation, you should know whether LASIK is right for you. In about half of the patients we see, LASIK is not the best choice for corrective vision surgery. However, that does not mean having to wear glasses or contacts for the rest of their lives. There are other laser eye surgery procedures that may be a better fit.
What Other Laser Eye Surgery Options Are Available?
If you are not a candidate for LASIK, you might be a candidate for one of these types of corrective vision surgical procedures:
- ReLEx® SMILE: This is a one-step procedure that is less invasive than LASIK.
- PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy): This surgery fixes refractive errors by reshaping the cornea to improve vision.
- Visian ICL (Implantable Contact Lens): This surgery is where a biocompatible contact lens is implanted into the eye to help correct vision problems.
- CATz Topography-Assisted LASIK: This is a more advanced type of LASIK procedure that can correct nearsightedness and astigmatism.
- Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE): This eye surgery uses ultrasound waves and an intraocular lens (IOL) to correct vision problems.
As with any surgical procedure, listen to the advice and instructions provided by your eye surgeon. They will make you aware of any potential risks of LASIK or other eye surgeries you are considering. Your eye surgeon will share information on what to expect, recovery treatment, and other details you should know to make an informed decision.
To schedule a free consultation to find out if you are a candidate for LASIK or another type of corrective eye surgery, please feel free to contact Dougherty Laser Vision at (805) 864-5448 today!
We have office locations in Westlake Village, Beverly Hills, Camarillo, San Luis Obispo, and Simi Valley. We even treat patients from out of California, as Dr. Dougherty is considered one of the leading eye surgeons in the country.